Aquaponics Grow Bed Framed

I framed up the grow bed this week and set it in place to get an idea of how I want to mount it.   First thing I noticed is that it seems much bigger than it did on the drawing.   There is lots of garden space and I expect good production out of such a large area.  That said, it is a little close on the sides for getting around.
Yet to do:

  • Sheet the bottom of the grow bed
  • line the pond
  • line the grow bed
  • mount grow bed
  • install plumbing & electrical


It’s hard to get a sense of the size from the picture, but the grow bed is 10′ x 4.5′ and will sit atop of the fish pond which is 5’x4′.    The front portion of the pond will have a slatted lid which should make a nice bench to sit on while out there.    In the upper left you can see I’ve run my electrical providing a utility outlet and switch for the pump.


The required picture of the Chicks.  Here they are enjoying a plum and butternut squash.  They are almost 15 weeks now.  We are hoping they will start laying around the end of August / first of September.

Working on the Aguaponics Pond

I’ve nearly got the fish pond built.   It is ready for the liner now.


The girls prefer to roam around the yard constantly scratching for a treat.   They love the fact I cleaned out the planter and prepared the yard for grass.   As soon as it cools off a bit, I’ll put the grass in, then they will really be in heaven.


The Girls are just over 10 weeks now

It is a little more than 10 weeks since we received our chicks.   They seem huge compared to the day they arrived.   I’ve been surprised that there really hasn’t been any squabbling to establish a pecking order.

I’ve still got a lot to do on the yard, but they don’t seem to mind.  They love to roam around the entire yard always searching for something good to eat.

img_0824  img_0827  img_0829  img_0831

2 weeks ago I had a water leak in the hen house.   I’ve been amazed how little there is to do in the way of care for keeping chickens.  My entire family has been amazed at the complete lack of smell and noise from the girls.

Then a couple of weeks ago, we noticed it was starting to smell a bit.   I found the water regulator I had purchased began to leak causing a moldy stink in the hen house.   I shut the water off and removed the regulator, cleaned the house out and let it dry out in the 110 degree heat here for 3 days.   I next constructed a bucket regulator to replace the one I purchased from Farm-Tek.   New pine shavings, clean fresh water, and a dry house and everything is back to normal.


I picked up these nest pads this week for $3 each.   Looked like a great way of keeping the nestboxes clean.   I’m hoping in a couple of months they will start laying.

24 days old

The chicks are 24 days old now and have grown so.   They are each developing their own personalities.  Sadly, we lost one of the five chicks last Saturday.  They all seemed very healthy and strong Friday night when I last checked on them, but in the morning one was gone.  The other four were all laying on top of her as if they knew something was not right.

They now come out of the house each day and seem to love the freedom of roaming around in their run, scratching, constantly and looking for something good to eat.

I’ve also started phase 2 of my project which is the Aquaponics garden.  I’m working on getting the shade cover up so I can complete the rest of the build out of the sun.  This part as you can tell is an extension of the coop.

Here is a shot of what I got done today and some new pictures of the girsl.

img_0530   img_0532   img_0533   img_0534   img_0539


Almost Done!

It was a long day but I got lots done!   I finished the hen house, framed the windows, cabled up the pop door, and painted almost all the green trim pieces.   I just need to get the roof on and put up some roosts and I’ll be done and ready to move on to the aquaponics garden.   I should have the entire coop completed just in time for our pullets arrival Friday.

img_0426   img_0429   img_0419   img_0421   img_0422   img_0423   img_0424   img_0425 img_0458   img_0459   img_0460

Hardware Cloth added

Saturday was cold and rainy.   Even so, I spent time outside and added all the hardware cloth to the coop.  I also got tow and a half sides of the house boarded up.   I’m very close to done now.  Chicks are ordered and should arrive in about 2 weeks.  I’ve got feed, heat lamps…all the fixings for a brooder to keep them happy when they arrive.

img_0413   img_0414   img_0415   img_0416    img_0417    img_0418